Why you should watch Street Fuzion 2016


Even before I auditioned for UP Streetdance Club (UPSDC), way back in high school, I’ve always been excited to (get the chance to) watch Street Fuzion ‘cause I heard it's UPSDC’s largest annual dance production. "Imagine, all the members, including those I only get to watch in youtube, ALL OF THEM, dancing full-blast in one concert?! GRABE." I remember the highschooler Aya Fernandez then. Haha. 

Before, the meaning of Street Fuzion for me was a showcase of talent, art, mastery, movements, and dance. I was so thrilled with the idea. But things have quite changed through time. Since I got accepted as an applicant/trainee, the definition of Street Fuzion has gradually changed. From meeting UPSDC’s members, scholars, and coaches, I’ve learned that like them, Street Fuzion’s purpose is to tell a story. It is to tell a message, His message. For months since the audition day, I have been so inspired. 

But then again, recently, the meaning of Street Fuzion changed once more

As applicants, we work for the Street Fuzion production team. The other night after watching the complete run through, that very moment the music stopped marking the finale, was the only time I fully understood what Street Fuzion is all about. This time, I guess I got it right.

I’ve learned that Street Fuzion is beyond showcasing talents. It's beyond telling a message. It is about touching lives. And I am one of those who are just touched by it. Even if it was just a run through – with incomplete props, no costumes and no stage design – it was the dance alone. It’s amazing how it spoke to me. It’s ironic how the dance struck me deeper than any song or palpable passage would.

I am writing this not as an applicant or trainee of the UP Streetdance Clubnot as a dancer who just wants to promote an event and encourage people to see what her org has to offer; but I’m writing this as one of the audience, as one of those who sometimes overlook the purpose of things, of those who tend to be consumed by worries and frustrations, and be weakened by adversities. And I just wish you could be moved the way I was. I hope that more people would be comforted the way I was, would be enlightened the way Street Fuzion has calmed my heart. And honestly, I guess my words aren’t even enough to justify the show’s audacity and sincerity. 

This Palm Sunday, the UP Streetdance Club presents Street Fuzion: Doors, a portrayal of man's pursuit of happiness.  As we celebrate the triumphal entry of Jesus into Jerusalem, one week before His resurrection (Matthew 21:1–11), give UPSDC the chance to touch your hearts too. :) 

Is joy the door we’ve been searching for? Or is joy the one behind the door the whole time that we haven’t just opened yet? But no matter how long the journey is, at the end of the day, all we want is just the answer to one question – how can we really find true joy?
STREET FUZION: DOORS, MARCH 20, 7PM, UP THEATER
https://www.facebook.com/upstreetdanceclub/?fref=ts

No comments:

Post a Comment