My New Year’s Resolution from Pia Wurtzbach



After my sister won Bb. Pilipinas-International in 2008, she'd always let me accompany her in Binibini events, gatherings, victory parties, etc. (I could still remember the little Aya staying behind her sister's dress observing giant goddess-like beauty queens, realizing "ohhhh they’re humans tooo!" HAHA) and I'm just thankful that I had the chance to be shared by various beauty queens' wisdom and stories through those gatherings. (#perksss hihi :D)

Some lunch gathering with the Bb. Pilipinas Winners in 2013 :)

This picture was taken after the coronation might of  Bb. Pilipinas 2008 #Sisters :)

The Miss Universe fever is over-ish, but the new year reminds me of the highlight realization I’ve learned from Pia Wurtzbach’s journey (since I’ve met her in 2013, her first attempt for the Binibini title) that I’d like to put an extra effort to live out this 2016 :D

è  Even if circumstances won't let you give your best shot, give it a shot anyway :)
Aside from the mainstream details of her journey that we know, there’s this particular one that I won’t forget. In her Q & A in 2014, when the bisaya fluent Pia was told by Senator Angara (judge) if she could be asked in Tagalog, I heard critics from some pageant analysts,  "alam naman niyang mas magaling siya mag-english kesa tagalog, pero nagtagalog pa din siya... Medyo mayabang.

They said she could have given an outstanding answer if she looked for a way to deliver her answer in english instead of tagalog. But i thought back then that it was a trap, and she had no option but to answer in tagalog, anyway it wasn’t a bad answer after all. But they told me "kahit ba na trap 'yon, pag pageant Q & A dapat mabilis kang magisip para makahanap ng paraan para hindi mailabas ang weakness mo and to present the best version of yourself.”


That year, she did not place.

The critics may be right, Pia could have done better that year but at the end of the day, she accepted the challenge and went on. She answered confidently and expressed herself genuinely. In fact, I didn't even notice that she "wasn't that good in tagalog." 




~ ~ ~ And that realization branches out to several #NoteToSelf #QOTD #UnderTheSun thoughts…
Personally, sometimes I tend to step back when I know I can't give my best. That "practice-muna-show-later" or “ipeperfect-ko-muna-show-later” mentality drags me down down down. That lack of confidence holds me back back back. But sometimes, I guess we will only know that we are really good at something when we are asked to do it unprepared or freestyle but don’t suck like hell. (medyo-suck lang. HAHA)
Disclaimer: we should always be prepared. We should continuously work for improvement, so that when the moment demands you to show what you’ve got, you have something to show. But what I’m just trying to say is that sometimes, as we postpone the showtime, we end up not showing up at all.

 “God doesn’t require you to succeed, He only requires that you try” – Mother Teresa


I’m sure all of us have been practicing that, but all we just need is consistency. So this 2016… #LEZDOTHIZ!!!!!! :D 

No comments:

Post a Comment