PROJECT LILY Livelihood

        As part of our road to the crown in Miss Teen Earth Philippines, we've been tasked to choose and implement an environmental advocacy in our local community. Here's a little throwback of my chosen environmental advocacy, PROJECT LILY, when I joined Miss Teen Earth Philippines 2015 :)


What is PROJECT LILY?  
PROJECT LILY is an advocacy for a sustainable livelihood that would give more job opportunities and at the same time would help restore our environment.

With PROJECT LILY, we do not only help reduce the invasive population of water hyacinth that causes clogged water ways and more severe floods, but we also help boost our local economy!
My special thanks to Kap Kaye of Brgy.Rosario, Pasig City for funding PROJECT LILY & allowing us to use the barangay hall's alternative learning room for PROJECT LILY. 
Can you believe that these products are made from water hyacinth (or locally known as water lily)? The water lily stalks are dried, dyed and processed to make leather-look bags, wallets, and other products!

The fibers are scraped from the stalks manually (which later on the scraped fibers will be used to make papers, and so nothing is ever wasted!). It may seem easy at first, but it will take A LOT of practice to do it perfectly! 
... then they will be placed together one by one to make sheets. Every trainee unleashed his creativity in making the sheets.   

Here are some of my favorite designs:


I tried making one myself (I tried making a wallet sheet, my skills cannot afford to make a


bag hihi :D )

       Ms Leona Fe Edelloran, chairwoman of the Women for Progress of Nagpayong Multi-Purpose Cooperative and of the PaTaTa (Pasig-Taytay-Taguig) Water Hyacinth Harvesters and Weavers Association, is our skills mentor. 

I am very thankful that I was able to find and meet her. Also, to our barangay chairman who allowed PROJECT LILY Livelihood to be funded by the local barangay.



The Beneficiaries

Ms Leona has mentioned to me that her water hyacinth cooperative includes workers that are out-of-school youth, persons with disability, and senior citizens. Also, the graduate trainees from the livelihood class will start their own productions and soon will cater their own classes as well. 


Here is theSneak Peak video of my journey in PROJECT LILY, hope you enjoy watching!


Along my journey with PROJECT LILY, I thought I'd never meet the right people, raise enough money and gather sponsors, and even push through with the livelihood training itself.

I am very grateful of the journey God has given me as a candidate in Miss Teen Earth PH, and I wish I could serve more people and touch more lives in the future as I advocate for sustainable development and voice for Mother Nature, especially now that I am holding the title itself. 

Truly, Miss Teen Earth PH is beyond a beauty pageant, I am very thankful how it empowered me as it unleashed the strengths I never knew I had. 

I still have a lot to learn but I wish my story would inspire other people to start their own simple ways to show care for others and for nature as well. :)

"Happiness is hard to find when we seek it for ourselves, but when we learn to give it to others, it will find its way back to us"




Cannot think of a new accent and touch in your everyday style? Looking for something classic and very Filipino presents or giveaways? I have only shown only a super little glimpse of the water lily products. For more inquiries on their sample products, you may directly contact them!
Ms Leona Fe Edelloran- 0918-642-9715
Ms Minette Lopez- 0917-555-3910

No comments:

Post a Comment